- Docket No.
- District Court
- Texas Northern
- Exempt the plaintiffs from the requirement
- Find that plaintiff limited partners qualify as "employees" and "participants" covered under ERISA employee welfare benefit plan.
Why this Matters:
The plaintiffs ask that a particular partnership arrangement should be classified as a form of an employer group health plan under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act. Such classification would insulate the partnership from state regulation, and bar state and federal agencies from taking enforcement action against the partnership. The classification would also allow the partnership to be exempt from certain consumer protections that apply only to the individual and small group markets, including protections such as guaranteed issue, community rating, or coverage of the essential health benefits package under the Affordable Care Act.
Allowing such arrangements to avoid major Affordable Care Act protections and state regulation of private health insurance could destabilize health insurance markets through adverse selection and expose more consumers to potential fraud.
23 Major Filings
- REPLY to Opposition to Motion to Remand (Feb 17, 2023)
- OPPOSITION to Motion to Remand (Jan 31, 2023)
- MOTION TO REMAND (Dec 30, 2022)
- Joint STATUS REPORT (Nov 16, 2022)
- ORDER (Nov 2, 2022)
- JUDGMENT MANDATE (Oct 11, 2022)
- OPINION (Oct 11, 2022)
- NOTICE OF APPEAL (Nov 27, 2020)
- CORRECTED ORDER (Sep 29, 2020)
- FINAL JUDGMENT (Sep 28, 2020)
- OPINION and ORDER (Sep 28, 2020)
- REPLY re Cross Motion (Apr 24, 2020)
- REPLY re Cross MOTION (Apr 7, 2020)
- PLAINTIFFS_ CONSOLIDATED REPLY BRIEF in Support (Apr 6, 2020)
- BRIEF IN OPPOSITION (Mar 9, 2020)
- Cross MOTION for Summary Judgment (Mar 9, 2020)
- RESPONSE re Motion (Mar 9, 2020)
- RESPONSE re Motion for Injunction (Mar 9, 2020)
- MOTION for Summary Judgment (Feb 19, 2020)
- Joint STATUS REPORT (Feb 13, 2020)
- AMENDED COMPLAINT (Feb 3, 2020)
- MOTION for Injunction (Feb 3, 2020)
- COMPLAINT (Oct 4, 2019)